New to Quilting?

If you are brand new to quilting and don't know where to begin, start with the posts in September 2011 (look in the blog archive). The first four posts cover basics such as choosing equipment, choosing colors, how to sew 1/4" seams, how to use a rotary cutter, and how to press (not iron) your block during construction.

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Drawing Diagonal Lines on Fabric

Sometimes I have a hard time drawing the diagonal line on squares. The line doesn't end up straight because the fabric shifts under the ruler as a use the pencil to draw the line.

Here's what I came up with:

I use a sheet of 220 grit Wet or Dry sandpaper.

The grit is very fine and holds the fabric so that it doesn't shift.
I use a ruler and a mechanical pencil. The mechanical pencil makes a very fine line and it is easy to get the line right on the edge of the ruler.

The lines are all straight, the fabric hasn't shifted and it hasn't stretched along the bias.
It works for me. If you have another way of drawing the diagonal line on your squares please leave a comment and let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I've been spammed like crazy lately! Please take an extra few seconds for the word verification if you are a real person and would like to comment. So sorry for the inconvenience.